Fire Houses of early Placerville
The first hose house of Neptune Hose Company No. 1 was situated on Maiden Lane, now Stage Coach Alley, which location involved great inconveniences; and when the City was incorporated the company applied for an appropriation to purchase a house and lot in some more convenient locality with. The City went on to purchase a house and lot for the use and benefit of the department on Main Street, which was the location of the Firestone store in 1953.
The fire on July 6th, 1856 swept everything before it, rendering the Neptune Hose Company No. 1 homeless. For a full year the Neptunes without a home, destitute of enough means to provide a house for their carriage or accommodations for themselves, kept their regular meetings at any place they could obtain the privilege for doing so, and more than one time the idea of disbandment turned up. But they went through the struggle victoriously and about a year after the big fire they again came in the possession of a house and lot situated on Coloma Street, purchased from Mr. Conrad.
The Neptune Hose Company No. 1 purchased a new engine which arrived about the first of February 1858 and bore the following inscription: "Neptune No. 2" "We're Ready". The engine house of the Neptunes was built in the fall of 1860; the stone for the beautiful front was quarried by county prisoners at Stony Point. The building was torn down in 1903 to make room for a railroad right of way.
The Confidence Engine House, after the old building had been partially destroyed by fire, on September 1860, was erected at the present site (City Hall, 487 Main Street) in the fall of 1860.
On December 4, 1907, Confidence Hose Company No. 1 had charge of Hose Cart No. 1 stationed at Confidence Hall on Main Street. Neptune Hose Company No. 2 had charge of Neptune Hose Cart No. 2 stationed on Sacramento Street. Eureka Hose Company No. 3 had charge of Hose Cart No. 3 stationed on Clay Street (Ivy House) and Excelsior Hose Company No. 4 had charge of Hose Cart No. 4 stationed on Coloma Street. Placerville Hook and Ladder Company had charge of Hook and Ladder Truck No. 1 stationed at the City Hall.
After many attempts to secure a new fire house, it finally started to become a reality after the voters on February 28, 1950 approved a $70,000 bond issue for the purchase of a lot, new fire truck and the erection of a fire house. On February 19, 1951, the City Council accepted the new concrete block fire house at 14 Sacramento Street (current Station 25 at 3034 Sacramento Street).