The Northside Fire Protection District was formed from the El Dorado Northside Improvement Association. The El Dorado Northside Improvement Association was formed as a civic group for zoning, etc, of the Cool-Pilot Hill area around 1963 by Darrel Nance of Pilot Hill and Eugene Chappie of Cool.
In 1964 a few concerned citizens of the Cool-Pilot Hill are got together and formed the first volunteer fire company under a Certificate of Organization, operating under a mother organization, El Dorado Northside Improvement Association, know as the Northside Volunteer Fire Department. The Board of Directors for the volunteer fire department was also the directors of the El Dorado Northside Improvement Association.
The Northside Volunteer Fire Department operated on public donations, and money making projects such as annual dances, bar-b-ques, rodeos, and contributions from various civic organizations of the community.
The first acquired fire trucks were two 1951 Dodge 500 gallon pumpers which required continual maintenance by the volunteers.
In 1966 the Constitution and By-Laws were written forming the Northside Volunteer Fire Department, Northside District El Dorado County, with 34 active members and 3 honorary members.
The Northside Fire Protection District was formed by a 51% vote of property owners in the proposed district which consisted of 26.24 square miles or 16,799 acres. The income to operate the fire district was based on a tax rate of $.10 per $100 of assessed valuation which brought in approximately $7,200. In, approximately 1977, the district's voters authorized increasing the tax rate to $.60 to upgrade the capabilities of fire protection. By this means and without borrowing money, the District built the Pilot Hill fire station and acquired two used, but upgraded, pumper trucks and obtained the part-time services of a paid fire chief.
Then came Proposition 13 with its funding uncertainties. The District's fire tax rate of $.60 per $100 of assessed property value was reduced and the District's funds shank to 28.5% of the previous funds. This reduction would have had disastrous results for the District, except that the State saved the day with augmentation funds.
With frugal management the Fire District Board of Directors was able to upgrade the District by building two complete fire stations, one in Pilot Hill and one in Cool. In 1984 the District's equipment consisted of:
- 2 - 1984 Emergency One, 1000 gpm Pumpers
- 1 - 1980 Beck Attack Pumper (rescue squad)
- 1 - 1956 Coast 1000 gpm Pumper
- 1 - 1954 Van Pelt 750 gpm Pumper
- 1 - 1952 2200 gallon Water Tender
- 1 - 1968 Chevrolet Pickup Fire Support Vehicle (Assistant Chief)
- 1 - 1980 Ford Bronco 4x4 with medical equipment (Chief)
In 1993 the Northside Fire Protection District reorganized and consolidated with the El Dorado County Fire Protection District.
*The preceding information was taken from a 1984-1985 fiscal year annual report.